Here are the top 10 grossing science fiction movies of all time. The box office is how much each movie made worldwide. I am disappointed that Star Wars: A New Hope wasn’t closer to the top, Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace was too close to the top, and that Transformers made it… twice for crying out loud!
1. Avatar (2009)
Box Office: $2,782,275,172
“A paraplegic Marine dispatched to the moon Pandora on a unique mission becomes torn between following his orders and protecting the world he feels is his home.”
2. Iron Man 3 (2013)
Box Office $1,215,439,994
“When Tony Stark’s world is torn apart by a formidable terrorist called the Mandarin, he starts an odyssey of rebuilding and retribution.”
3. Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011)
Box Office: $1,123,746,996
“The Autobots learn of a Cybertronian spacecraft hidden on the moon, and race against the Decepticons to reach it and to learn its secrets.”
4. Jurassic Park (1993)
Box Office: $1,029,153,882
“During a preview tour, a theme park suffers a major power breakdown that allows its cloned dinosaur exhibits to run amok.”
5. Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace (1999)
Box Office: $1,027,044,677
“Two Jedi Knights escape a hostile blockade to find allies and come across a young boy who may bring balance to the Force, but the long dormant Sith resurface to reclaim their old glory.”
6. Despicable Me 2 (2013)
Box Office: $906,239,000
“Gru is recruited by the Anti-Villain League to help deal with a powerful new super criminal.”
7. Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Box Office: $848,754,768
“After three years of fighting in the Clone Wars, Anakin Skywalker falls prey to the Sith Lord’s lies and makes an enemy of the Jedi and those he loves, concluding his journey to the Dark Side.”
8. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)
Box Office: $836,303,693
“Sam Witwicky leaves the Autobots behind for a normal life. But when his mind is filled with cryptic symbols, the Decepticons target him and he is dragged back into the Transformers’ war.”
9. Star Wars (1977)
Box Office: $775,398,007
“Luke Skywalker joins forces with a Jedi Knight, a cocky pilot, a wookiee and two droids to save the universe from the Empire’s world-destroying battle-station, while also attempting to rescue Princess Leia from the evil Darth Vader.”
10. The Hunger Games (2012)
Box Office: $691,247,768
“Katniss Everdeen voluntarily takes her younger sister’s place in the Hunger Games, a televised fight to the death in which two teenagers from each of the twelve Districts of Panem are chosen at random to compete.”
Which of your favorite science fiction movies didn’t make the list? Share below.
- Avatar Box Office, Iron Man 3 Box office, Transformers: Dark of the Moon Box Office, Jurassic Park Box Office, Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace Box Office, Despicable Me 2 Box Office, Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith Box Office, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Box Office, Star Wars Box Office, The Hunger Games Box Office.
- Images – clicking on the image will take you to the source.
- Top 10 information and quotes. IMDb gave top grossing films for the US. I rearranged the order according to top grossing films worldwide.